Jul 14, 2008

The Spiral Jetty

This post isn't really about the jetty, except for some pictures. If you want learn more about it, click here. If you don't want to read this post, click here. Anyways, so we decide to go on an adventure last Saturday at noon, and we decide the Spiral Jetty in Box Elder county will be our first victim.



So as you can see, to get to this place you have to drive all the way around the peninsula. I pondered if there were a way to drive on the railroad causeway that goes from basically Ogden to the big peninsula, then up that to the jetty. However, I decided against it because (A) I'd probably get hit by a train, (B) the water would be too high to drive on the side of the tracks, (C) I'd get caught (knowing my luck), and (D) Di told me not to. So I didn't. Even though it would be way quicker, as you can see by the detailed map below.


So by the time we get to Brigham City, we're freaking starving. Starving enough that we'll stop at the first place that isn't a 7-Eleven. So we drive, and drive, and drive, and finally we find.....Pizza Hut. Not just any Pizza Hut. Pizza Hut of Brigham City. So popular and famous that I couldn't even find a picture of it. And we are the only ones there besides the employees for at least half an hour. Then these people show up and take 20 minutes just to order, because they keep inquiring about how many glasses a pitcher can hold. Then the waitress chick forgets that we were even there, so I go up front to pay. I hope she doesn't spend her 26¢ tip in one place.

Turns out this place is a few miles south of the Golden Spike Visitor's Center, itself a suburb of Corinne, which is a suburb of Brigham City. A rocky road and a few paint chips later, we arrive. I read somewhere that there was an old trailer home, amphibious landing craft, and Dodge truck left there, but evidently in 2005 the state cleaned them up, but a guy had some pictures of them on his Flickr page.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So you drive all the way to Brigham city just to show us pics of your car? You could have at least thrown a little mud on it... or that skull. Give the beast some character, man! (The car, not the dead animal) And not only do you post pics OF your car, but pics from INSIDE your car. Get out and smell the saline! I do have to admit that I'm a little disappointed with the frequency of your posts. It's been 5 days since your last post and I haven't heard of any of your latest shenanigans. I'm sure you've got more Subaru marketing photos for us. Maybe a little further of the beaten path? Speaking of things being beaten... it needs to stop, Redd. It's not your fault... it's not your fault... it's not your fault. It's not your fault.

that jordan girl said...

I cracked up at this too much.

Justly said...

you went the long way but you didnt stop by the sun tunnels!!!